Proofing your content
Content proofing is the final step to do before publishing your content and making it live. This process ensures that you have checked that your content downloads correctly onto a device, that it looks and performs as expected and it is also how you to create your thumbnails for the in-app navigation.
It is important to do this step not only for the thumbnail generation, but to pre-generate the issues indexes. What's that? The issue index is a small file that is added to your content after the content proofing process takes place, which details the content e.g. there is 64 sections in total, section 1 contains 2 portrait pages and 1 landscape page, there is also 2 VIPS in this section and so on.
The inclusion of this file can speed up the opening of the content after downloading initially, and so the speed of the first read of the magazine. If you do not generate an index for your issue, this means that every time a user downloads the issue the app will need to complete this process on device which can take up to an hour in some cases where the content is quite large.
Download the publishing process diagram here or follow these steps to proof your content that you just uploaded (read more on how to upload content):
- After uploading your content to the Publishing Center, either download your application from the App Store (if it is live), or install a Test build via TestFlight.
- If not already signed in, sign in via the "Oomph Sign In" button with your Oomph publisher credentials. The "Oomph Sign in" button is located in the "About" section of the app menu (the button in the top right corner).
- Once signed in you should see the issue you just uploaded. This will have a green "Proofing Issue" badge over the top of the issue cover.
- Download this content. Once the content is downloaded open the issue, tap anywhere on a page which does not have a hotspot on it to bring up the Menu button. Tap the Menu button.
- Tap Prepare for Publishing.
- The proofing window will appear and you will have the option to enable pinch to zoom and whether to generate landscape or portrait thumbnails for the scrubber bar. Once you have selected your settings, tap the generate button (the circular arrow button at the top).
- The app will start with generating the Indexes, then start generating the Thumbnails. You will see thumbnails begin to appear once they generate, page by page.
- Once it is done, a cloud upload button will appear. Tap this
- Select the issue you wish to upload the thumbnails and index to. (Listed will be all issues that have an unpublished proofing version. Ensure you select he correct issue)
Once that uploads, allow about two minutes for that data to be sent to our servers. Once it has:
- Go to the Library screen in the app, there should be a red update button under the cover. If it does not appear straight away, give it a little longer.
- Tap Update. This downloads the newly patched content.
- Review this content again.
Full Text Search (Recommended)
Oomph allows you to offer users the ability to search across all content (installed issues). This is an extremely popular feature with users as it allows them to quickly navigate to an article they were previously reading but can't find straight away, or to search for a name or term that they are interested in to see whether you cover it. It's one of the many advantages to the digital publishing platform, and adding this to your app is easy and happens with the click of a button.
Search indexes are created on our servers and added into your content. If you would like your content to be searchable, you will need to do this step before publishing your content. The following runs you through how to add search to your content.
Adding a search index to your content:
- After uploading your final content and completing the content proofing steps above, you will see something similar to the below screenshot. Tap the drop down arrow beside the Download button.
- Click Add Search Index. The content will then refresh to state that it is adding the indexes. This is now merging the content with the search indexes and once finished, the content will now be available to proof one last time and then publish.
- Search only supports content contained in P, L & B pages.
- Search does not currently work on text that has been included into content using shared assets.
- Search is only available to content that is installed on a device, it does not search across issues that are not installed by the user.
- Search is only available to apps built using Oomph v.19 & above.
- Search indexes can only be generated from 'live text' in PDF's. Search indexes cannot be generated for words in flat images (e.g. PNG or JPG)
Final steps (Publishing)Once you have completed the steps above, you are ready to publish your content. Go to the issue home page in Oomph Publish and click the green "Publish and make available to publishers" button.
Post is closed for comments.