The auto-renewing option for subscriptions can be confusing. It is an opt-in feature which you are offered when you first pay for a subscription, and Apple do send you a notification prior to renewal with the option to cancel the automatic renewal. As we offer subscriptions through Newsstand, this is something Apple handles and we have no control over the settings and options available.
To view your app subscriptions and check their current settings:
1. Open the App Store application.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the Featured page and click on your Apple ID (or Sign In).
3. A new window will pop up - tap View Apple ID.
4. Under Subscriptions, click Manage. If you don't have any subscriptions this button will not be displayed.
5. From here, tap the app subscription that you would like to manage and you will see the current subscription status and available options. If you only subscribe to one publication, you will see the current subscription status and options without needing to select a subscription.
To turn off auto-renewal for the next renewal:
1. Tap ON to toggle the switch to OFF.
2. A new window will pop up - tap Turn Off to confirm.
You can also find this information on Apple's website, along with screenshots to help you through the process: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4098?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US