Oomph has supported a demo or auto-play mode for some time, available in the QA menu. Version 23.0.3 further enhances this by introducing "Kiosk Mode".
Kiosk mode operates in two modes:
- Auto-Play - Allows user interaction with the content while auto-playing, and reverts back to the first section of content & starts auto-play, after an idle period (available from version 23.0.3 onwards).
- No Auto-Play - Allows user interaction with the content while auto-playing, and reverts back to the first section of content after an idle period (available from version 23.0.6 onwards).
Kiosk mode is designed to allow an Oomph app to be used in a kiosk display in-store, at a conference, etc., and works great with Guided Access (available in iOS 6+), effectively allowing you to lock an iPad to a single app, and then have the app auto-play it's content.
When in auto-play kiosk mode, the app auto-plays its content, showing each page for 5 seconds, and will stop auto-playing when a user interacts with the app (e.g. taps the screen). If the app is not used for 3 minutes, the app will revert back to auto-playing the content, beginning again from the first section of the content (usually the cover).
When in non-auto-play kiosk mode, a user is able to interact with the content, and after an amount of idle time the app will reset to the first section of content.
When the app is running in (either form of) kiosk mode, all of its menus are disabled, including the bottom & top bars, sharing panels, etc. Kiosk mode will continue to function, even across restarts, until you turn it off (see below).
To ensure your app continues to run all the time, you should use kiosk mode in conjunction with the OS's Guided Access.
How to Use
To set up an app to be used in kiosk mode, do the following:
- Enable Guided Access.
- Run the app.
- Switch on Guided Access for the app.
- Enable Kiosk Mode.
Full details for each of these steps is provided below.
To enable Guided Access:
- Open Settings → General → Accessibility → Guided Access
- Turn on Guided Access.
- Set a Passcode. It is critical that you remember or write down the passcode, as it is used when switching off Guided Access while the app is running.
To switch on Guided Access for an app:
- Run the app.
- Triple-click the Home button.
- Configure guided access as you'd like, e.g. disable rotation. The default settings are fine for Oomph apps.
- Press Start.
- Enter your passcode (from above).
To switch off Guided Access for an app:
- Triple click the Home button.
- Enter the passcode you set (above).
- Click Disable.
To enable Kiosk Mode:
- Sign into your app, under the Help screen press the Publisher Sign In button.
- Two-finger tap the screen to bring up the QA controls, tap Enable QA Mode.
- Select Advanced → Kiosk Mode (choose the mode that you wish to use).
To disable Kiosk mode:
- Three finger triple tap the screen (tap the screen with three fingers three times in quick succession).
Note. When kiosk mode is disabled the screen will flash three times.