Why do I need to create a .p12 file?
In order for Oomph to be able to recognise your certificate, it must first be converted to a .p12 format. A .p12 file is just a different file format, so think of it like converting a JPEG to a PNG - the file contains the same data, just that Oomph requires it to be in .p12 format.
Please follow this process to producing a .p12 file for both signing apps (the distribution certificate) and for sending push notifications (the APNS certificate). You should end up with two .p12 files, which you will then upload to the Publishing Center, or pass onto your Account Manager if you are a full service client.
How to create a .p12 file
1. Locate your certificate file, which will have a .cer file extensions. You should have already generated two certificates, one for signing apps (the distribution certificate) and one for sending push notifications (the APNS certificate).
2. Open the file, and it will automatically install it to your My Certificates area in the Keychain Access application. Double click the the file to open it. You will be prompted with a window like the one below.
3. Click Add.
4. In Keychain Access, located the certificate you just important. The easiest way to find it is to select the My Certificates tab on the left hand side.
It should look something like this:
5. Select both the Certificate and the Private Key at the same time, and right click on them. It is imperitive that you select both of them, as they need to be exported together.
6. Choose to "Export 2 items..." If you do not have the Private Key, you will not be given this option.
7. You then have the option to add a password, but this is not compulsory. Your certificate and Private Key are encrypted when you upload into the Publishing Centre and is never stored in clear text.
8. You may be asked to enter your computer's administrator password, in order to unlock the keychain if it is not already unlocked.
9. Save your .p12 file along with all your files related to your app.